Pictures of Enzo's Memorial Service

On October 6, 2010, 6-month old Enzo was in a car accident with his parents and older brother and sister. Almost 48 hours later, he went home to be with Jesus. This blog is run by his family members and is our way of sharing our grief and hope with everyone who cares to visit. We rejoice in knowing that one day we will be reunited with Enzo in eternity! If you would like to contact us, you can email us at (not case-sensitive).

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Good Samaritans

In the aftermath of the accident, there were some people we are calling "Good Samaritans" who, although perfect strangers, took time out of their busy lives to help Todd, Kate and the family. I would like to tell you a little about them and what they did here.

Immediately after the accident, a nurse stopped to help. When Todd and Kate realized Enzo was not breathing, she performed CPR on him until the paramedics arrived. She revived his little body and allowed our family the next 46 hours to say goodbye. Had she not stopped to help, Enzo probably would have died at the scene within minutes. After the accident, nobody knew who she was or where she had gone. I (Auntie Melissa) remember telling our sisters that after the Memorial Service I was going to do everything in my power to find her. We wanted to thank her for giving us that extra time with Enzo.
Near the end of our sharing time at the Memorial Service, a lady came up to the front of the church. I will never forget her words: "My name is Judi and I am a nurse. I performed CPR on Enzo." Gasps were heard throughout the church, and Todd and Kate and their parents jumped up and embraced her. Truly there was not a dry eye in the church at this moment. Judi went on to say that as a nurse, they are required to take CPR and First Aid courses frequently. It's always been somewhat of a wearisome and bothersome thing to add to the schedule. But after the accident, Judi said she will never complain about taking the classes again. Thank you Judi for coming and introducing yourself to us.

Another lady who stopped to help was Karen. She was not supposed to be pulling out of Fred Meyer that night - every other Wednesday night she was always at church with her husband. But this night, she had opted to stay home and get some groceries from the store. When she saw the accident, she stood over Todd, Kate and Enzo (as Judi performed CPR) and prayed without ceasing for the family. Karen also came up front at the Memorial Service to introduce herself. Thank you Karen, from the bottom of our hearts.

Melissa came upon the accident shortly after it happened. She felt the urge to stop and see if she could use her CPN skills to help. She noticed that my mom, Zo's Nana, had arrived at the scene without any shoes on, but there was glass all over the ground. Melissa ran into Fred Meyer and bought a pair of flip flops for Nana to put on her feet so she wouldn't get cut. Again, after the accident, nobody knew who she was. A good friend from church happened to be speaking to an acquaintance about the accident and mentioned someone had bought flip flops for Nana to wear. The acquaintance said, "That was my daughter who did that." So we were able to get in touch with Melissa and she too came to the Memorial Service. (Melissa is on the left in the picture).

If you know of any other acts of kindness that were done, please either leave a comment or email it to We would like to have the opportunity to thank all who took the time and effort to help.

If I got anything in these stories wrong, be sure to let me know and I will correct them asap. I was going off memory, but it's been an emotional time and who knows what I am missing! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment